Harrison Ford’s 2014 broken leg leads Star Wars producer to plead guilty

From ArsTechnica:

On Tuesday, a UK-based Disney subsidiary pleaded guilty to two criminal charges of failing to protect its employees on the set of Star Wars: The Force Awakens, specifically Harrison Ford, whose leg was broken by a hydraulic door on the Millennium Falcon set.

The charges were brought by the UK’s Health and Safety regulator, which sued the Disney subsidiary—called Foodles Production—back in February over the 2014 incident.

Ford, then 71, was struck by the Millennium Falcon door and had to be airlifted to a nearby hospital for treatment. A spokesperson for the Health and Safety regulator said in a press release that “the power of the door’s drive system was comparable to the weight of a small car.”

As The Guardian points out, Ford spoke about the incident on a talk show late last year, saying, “Now we had lots of money and technology and so they built a fucking great hydraulic door which closed at light speed and somebody said, ‘Ooh I wonder what this is?’ And the door came down and hit me on my left hip because I was turned to my right. And then it flung my left leg up and it dislocated my ankle and as it drove me down to the floor, my legs slapped on the ramp up to the Millennium Falcon and broke both bones in my left leg.”

Andrew Marshall, a prosecutor in the case, claimed that the only reason Ford didn’t sustain more injuries or die was because the person operating the hydraulic door pressed an emergency stop button.

Ford made a full recovery and completed the film, which was released in …

Continue Reading